When you open a magazine or turn on the television, you see advertisements for how to improve your life and live healthier. We see images of people. We see images of people exercising, drinking meal replacement shakes, enjoying fresh fruit at a farmers’ market, etc. All these things are encouraging us to live healthier lifestyles.
These advertisements or encouragement are often only thought of as a way to lose weight or prevent weight-loss. This is part of it, but it is not the whole part. Living healthy is not just about weight-loss or weight gain, it is about taking care of our bodies so we can have energy and live happy and long lives. When your body is healthy, you don’t need to see the doctor often and you have a natural zest for life.
What Does a Healthy Life Look Like?
We see pictures of supposedly healthy people all day long, but the truth is, healthy may be different for different people. Few people can have rock hard abs or become a professional athlete. Sure, those guys are probably healthy, but for us everyday Joes those things are not necessarily possible or even something we want.
So, what is your healthy life supposed to look like?
Only you can really decide what healthy means to you. Doctors, dieticians, personal trainers, and even life coaches will tell you what their respective fields see as healthy. You can base your healthy life on that and then build it as you want it from there. Your food preferences and allergies may not allow for certain so-called healthy foods. So you adjust. You may have a disability or health condition which limits your movement or the type and amount of exercise you can do. So, you work with a trainer or specialist to figure out what works for you and your body.
What Is It Really All About?
The strong emphasis on living a healthy life comes from the fact that so many Americans are obese, even children, and also because such a high percentage of people in America have chronic health conditions. Obesity and chronic conditions can be prevented to a certain extent by simply living healthier and taking better care of our bodies and minds. The cost of healthcare is phenomenal and if these conditions can be prevented and improved simply by eating healthier and walking a few miles a day, then that seems like a common sense plan.
Now, let’s look at the benefits of living a healthy life.
- You have more energy – When you eat the right foods and get exercise everyday, your metabolism works faster and you have more natural energy. This is not energy you get from an energy drink. This is the type of energy that can carry you through the day with a skip in your step, a song in your heart, and a big smile on your face.
- You don’t have to visit the doctor – If you live healthier, you won’t have to visit the doctor so often. This means that you save a lot of money in healthcare costs and don’t have to worry about staying in bed with a cold. Obviously, bugs tend to get us at some point, but if your body is healthy in general, the bug won’t stick around that long.
- It prevents serious diseases – When you eat healthily, get exercise, and follow all those other health tips, you are helping your body fight against the risk of developing diseases like cancer, obesity, hypertension, heart conditions, etc. Living healthy makes your body and your immune system stronger and better able to resist any diseases.
- You set a good example for your loved ones – If you are stuck in bad habits it can really help when you see someone else making a success of their healthy living. It is inspiring and a good example for your kids, friends, and family. You can be the person who helps them get healthy. It’s a win-win situation as you will have each other around for a long time.
- It makes you more positive – Mental health is just as important, and sometimes more important than physical health. When your body feels healthy and good, it automatically makes us feel good and proud and positive. With positivity, you can do anything and take on any challenge. When someone is depressed, exercise is one of the things that doctors prescribe to help them. When we exercise, we produce endorphins which are like happy pills. So, exercise is good for both physical and mental health.
- You can reach your dreams – When you live healthily and feel good, you are more likely and able to achieve the goals you set for yourself. We all have dreams and goals we want to reach and a healthy body and mind is the best way to get there. If you have the energy, the positivity, and the willpower, you can achieve anything.
We’re sure there are many more reasons why living healthy is good. Remember that you don’t necessarily need to throw out all the food in the house and start running 5 miles a day. Baby steps. Start gradually and then build to throwing out all the bad stuff in your kitchen cupboards. Start slowly with exercise and get a trainer if you can. It is easy to injure yourself if you’re not sure what you’re doing. All you have to do is make the decision to live healthier and then start making small changes until you reach your health goals. You can do it!